Subscribe to my blog

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

TOP 5 WEDNESDAY ~ April 4, 11, & 18



April 4: Favorite Jokesters

-- In honor of April Fools (a bit late but hey, I don't control when Wednesdays fall), talk about your favorite jokesters, pranksters, and funny characters.


Rose Hathaway from Vampire Academy

Rose is the QUEEN of one-liners!! She's very immature and she can be quite annoying sometimes in that immaturity, but she also cracks me up!


Magnus Bane from Shadowhunter verse 

I agree with Sam on this. Magnus is quite funny, but there is a melancholy and a deep sadness to him that should not be overlooked.


Simon from Shadowhunter verse

While Simon also always has something witty to say, he is different than Magnus, more innocent. And there's certainly less melancholy to his wit than Magnus. 


Suze Simon from Mediator series 

Suze is really more clever and witty than funny, but I'm still including her because I think she is a thoroughly enjoyable character to read!


Tank Girl from Tank Girl comics!

This book had me literally LOLing! The humor and hijinks were so much fun, but Tank Girl in particular, with all of her sass, edgy badassery was so funny!!




April 11: Auto-Buy Scifi and Fantasy Authors - Booktube SFF Awards Babble Crossover Topic!
-- This month's crossover topic is your auto-buy authors that write SFF.


Tamora Pierce

 Pierce is the author of the Tortall universe and Emelan universe! I have been reading her books since I was 15 or 16 years old! I still love them, I own all but 5 or 6, and plan to get all the ones I still need to get and all future books she puts out! I love her stories so much! 


Cassandra Clare

I think Clare is brilliant at creating worlds that I just want to keep reading and being a part of! I only own Magnus Bane chronicles in print because I haven't been able to buy books in many, many years but when I am able - which, I hope is soon - she'll be one of the first I plan to get every book I can get my hands on!


Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Rhodes is another author that I've been reading for many years. I think I started her books when I was 11 or 12. She writes YA paranormal fantasy with horror elements and she's one author I don't think I'll ever tire of. I think she's a fantastic writer! She's another writer I think is so good at crafting worlds to fall into and not just stories. She published her first book at 14 and is still going pretty strong! I mean, I think it's been maybe three years since her last book, but I believe she is still writing.


Meg Cabot's Mediator series

Cabot writes mostly YA humor contemporary, but she does have a paranormal urban fantasy series that is one of my favorites and has been since I first read it as a teen! It's one series that I will collect no matter how many books come out! 


Andre Norton

Norton is a classic SFF writer I've read a small portion of but already adore! I own and have read I think 8 of her many, many books, but I plan to read and collect the rest over time! I'll be surprised if I don't like one of her books, I really will. 


April 18: Ideal Mash-Ups

-- You know those comp titles they list in synopses that read something like "perfect for fans of Harry Potter and Game of Thrones"! What would be some of your favorite mash ups, that would make you pick up a book? "A mix of ________ and ___________." Remember, you can also incorporate games, tv, movies, etc. Get creative!

Sailor Moon (manga/anime) meets Sabrina the Teenage Witch (comics/ tv series) meets Raven from Teen Titans (comics/cartoon)


I've started watching the cartoon Star vs the Forces of Evil and I really enjoy it because it's like Sailor Moon meets Sabrina the Teenage Witch meets Raven from Teen Titans... which makes me wonder what a book with that combination - or at least two out of three - would look like. I bet it'd be BOMB! Just imagine a witch-like character like Sabrina, but with a background, maybe even a dark and gothy look like Raven. Which... really is what I'm hoping for with the upcoming Sabrina netflix show! It's supposed to follow one of the Sabrina comics series... all dark and gothic. I'm so excited for it!!


The Doll House (tv series) meets The Hunger Games (book/movies)


This is another one that already kinda exists for me... this is what I've been saying about the new WestWorld series since I saw the first episode last year. (My exact words were it's like DollHouse and Hunger Games had an even more fucked up baby... lol) But, I would like something in book format with some of these elements. For instance the ethical dilemmas and ass-kicking heroine of DollHouse with the overthrowing tyranny of the Hunger Games.


The Vampire Academy series (books) meets Lost Girl (tv series) meets Jessica Jones (comics/tv series) meets Charmed (tv series)


I love, LOVE VA the way it is, but I think it would have been really cool to one, add more types of creatures in that world, like werewolves and such. And two, change Rose up a little more so that she has more abilities than the normal Dhampir. I think, after her brush with death, she should have become something akin to a succubus. I think she should have been stronger (JJ style) and sort of dependent on the life force of others. And I think it would be fucking awesome to get a series with an older Rose, Lissa, and Sydney (a badass Succubus-Dhampir, Vampire, and Witch) who became like this powerful trio to right all the wrongs in the VA world... because there are a lot of wrongs in that world. The exploitation - enslavement, even - of the Dhampir, the weakening of the Moroi, and the brainwashing and torture of the alchemists.I think there is still a lot to fix in that world and I don't want it to be over.


The Mediator series (books) meets the Ghost Whisperer (tv series)


Like the VA above, I'd like to see more books from the actual Mediator series with an older Suze and Jesse. One in which she helps people and ghosts as an adult, like in the show Ghost Whisperer with Jennifer Love Hewitt! I love that show and I recently started rewatching it, and I can so imagine her as an older Suze. I think it'd be a perfect mashup!

Witches of East End (book/tv series) meets Ghost Hunt (manga/anime)


Oooh, something with witches and magic and hunting ghosts and demons... but with the strong elements of reincarnation like East End. Witches are my absolute favorite supernatural beings ever and I could def use more witch books!



The Top 5 Wednesday GROUP... go join! 

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/118368-top-5-wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment